Thursday, May 31, 2007

confessions of a commitment-phobic

Have you ever met a female that has relationship issues… I’m sure you have, but if you haven’t let me introduce you to myself… I’m Miss DD… won’t keep a guy for too long because she’s afraid that she’ll get hurt again like she did in the past… quick to find a fault or reason as to why things can’t or won’t work between her and the guy and when she finally finds a great guy that she’s comfortable, she’s ready to break it off because she’s afraid she’s gonna hurt him… where’s Dr. Phil when I need some advice… well since he’s not around to advice, I’m gonna have to dissect this on my own… but boy oh boy, where do I start…

Scared, nervous, and worried are a few ways to descript by attitudes towards relationships… let me give you a quick run down… mentally; I have a time line… I don’t know why, but I need to break away from it… a guy gets an initial 2 minutes for me to see if he peaks my interests (its usually obvious in the first 10 seconds)… if so, and things progress, then he gets an additional two week trial period for me to get to know them and see if we click… and after that I try to go with the flow… but somewhere around the 2 month mark, I start tripping… yes I’m admitting it, I START TRIPPING…. It could be almost anything, I’ll find a reason… why you may ask… here’s how I’ve always thought of it… once two people have been dating for about 3 months or so, they start to get out of the honeymoon phase and start developing a more serious relationship… they’re not floating on cloud nine anymore, but they start dealing with everything, all the small flaws and issues… you can’t just stop calling cause at this point you have to deal with it or ends things cause you’re in a semi-serious relationship… am I afraid of commitment… maybe just a little… maybe I just enjoy the honeymoon period of a new relationship so much that I just don’t want it to end and maybe that’s y I go from one relationship to the other, always give a legitimate excuse or reasons as to why it can’t work between me and him (whomever the guy may be)… or is it that I go into these relationships knowing that it wouldn’t work, but still wanted to enjoy the honeymoon period before it got too serious… I just don’t know…

How can I hope to ever have a successful and lasting relationship if I can’t seem to get out of this loop that I’ve gotten myself into…
But now that I’ve found someone, RFM, (RFM is the consultant, just changed his name) that it could truly work with, I’m scared shitless… I don’t want to hurt him… I know I’ve hurt some people in the past, but by no means was it intentional… but still it happened… and I don’t want to do that to him… RFM and I are good together, we compliment each other… he’s more reserved, while I’m more outgoing… he’s laidback and well, I’m not as laidback… and so much more…
And incase it hasn’t clicked, me and RFM have been talking for a while now and we’re coming up on 2 months, and I’m doing everything in my power to stay positive, go with the flow and pray that things work out the way they’re suppose to…

I’m sorry I’m just rambling… confused and rambling…


Some Quotes that i felt were appropriate for this post:

"Half of our mistakes in life arise from thinking when we ought to feel and feeling when we ought to think." ~Anon

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will find them gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer." ~Rainer Maria Rilke

"The quality of love and the duration of a relationship are in direct proportion to the depth of the commitment by both people to making the relationship successful. Commit yourself wholeheartedly and unconditionally to the most important people in your life." ~Brian Tracy

"Where once I gave all of me, fearless of the risks and confident of the reciprocity, I now hold a little back… should in case I might need that untouched kernel of self again… someday, to begin to rebuild myself…" ~anon

"If you want to experience love, you have to take the risk. Love's always worth the risk. And the trouble is if you don't risk anything, you risk even more" ~Anon

"There are two things to aim for in life: first to get when you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second." ~Logan Pearsall Smith

"Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk" ~The Dalai Lama

"The best way to love is to love like you have never been hurt" ~Anonymous

"Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness." ~Bertrand Russell

7 comments:

Jameil said...

those are good quotes homie. you've got to relax. love is never going to find you if you always push it away.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jameil. Relax yourself and let your conscience be free. You are never going to find happiness if you keep pushing them away.

Diva-sta said...

I fink wat u need to is talk bout this "commitment phobe" wit yr partner so u can talk through it and he reassures u cos bottlng up wat happened in da past aint goin 2 help yr current/future relationships

Unknown said...

You sound just like me ... I'm a certified committment phobe!

I love these quotes!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me very much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, wish look progressive for more interrelated articles without delay as its anecdote of my favourite topic to read.