Wednesday, May 16, 2007

reality sets in...

Reality has began to sunken in…. my uncle is gone… as I’ve spent everyday from the last week at my uncle’s place… being there to support my cousins and aunt, and just being there to help out… reality has really hit home… and it was all a bit too real… and as my mother got a last minute flight out of Nigeria over the weekend, she arrived on Monday afternoon, and well it was tough… its tough to see your mother in such pain, knowing there’s nothing you can do besides just being there for her and supporting her… I know its even harder for her to accept that her younger brother is gone… and while there’s nothing I can do to help ease any of their pains, we know that he’s in a better place… the two oldest children of my uncle are both graduating from college in the next week or so… its sad that their father, my uncle, won’t be there to see them reach such an accomplishment… and the other issue at hand… how do we tell the youngest child… she doesn’t know yet, but I’m sure she’s aware that something is going on with, but she doesn’t know yet… she’s merely only 8 years old and now her father is gone… how do you explain that to an eight year old in a way that she can understand, in a way that won’t totally destroy her… that is the task at hand now ….

And of course we have to lay my uncle to rest, but we have to do it in the right manner… details are still being sorted, but its hard… some hard decisions need to be made by people who are emotionally unstable at the moment… but they do have to be made… I pray that my family gets thru this crisis and that we become a stronger and closer family because of it… I’ll learn not to take people for granted because life is simply too short to do so… and while I may never see my uncle again, his memory will live on in all of our minds, in our pictures, in our stories, but most importantly in our hearts… he’s left an impression that will never fade, so I hope that he will lay in peace knowing that and also knowing that his children are in good hands and will be taken care of… and so while we all continue to grieve for this tragic lost, we’re also celebrating the great life that he had, the great person that he was, and the legacy that he leaves behind…

~Stay blessed

No comments: