Monday, November 06, 2006

loooooong weekend...

Long weekend… ran my 12 miles on Saturday (i also ran thru event emotion from being happy to be exercising to being proud of my accmplishment, to being angry at how long 12 miles actually is, to resentment for doing the marathon, then back to satisfaction for doing the 12 miles and still wanting to complete the marathon :-)), after running I then went to work that afternoon and then went to some Masquerade Ball (instead of resting my poor little legs)… it was cool though, and Sunday was crazy, have a big family event and spent most of the day cooking and serving people (you know how those Nigerian family events can get out of hand…) Anyways, the event was the baby dedication at church for my niece (2 months old) and nephew (5 weeks old)… the children are such blessing and great additions to our family… it was a good mix of our friends (my siblings) and our parent’s friends and family friends…

Anyways, I guess I didn’t really realize how much it bothered me that I don’t what to do with my life or what I should be doing with my life (in my master plan, I was suppose to be planning my own wedding day by now, but with no boyfriend at the present moment or in the immediate foreseeable future it makes it a little difficult to do that)… anyways as I was saying, I guess I didn’t really realize how much it bothered me until yesterday afternoon, after the baby dedication at church and we had a bunch of people over, and a friend of mine, SS, (a friend I dated about 2 and a half years ago and I actually met him thru my sister-in-law, so he was there to celebrate the baby dedication with us) and I were talking and some how we got on the topic of what’s next in life, and how life was going and so on and out of no where tears started flowing from my eyes. Now, SS and I are good friends, we talk on a regular basis and he’s someone I would definitely confide in cause he’s a very trustworthy guy, but I was just surprised as how easily tears formed at my eyes when we really started talking about the future, and I guess it surprised him as much as it did me, then he asked what my greatest fear was, and I could only reply, I can’t get into that right here cause then I’d get really emotional… and of course he made me promise to call him later to talk and so on and so on… I guess it threw him off because I’m not the most emotional person in general (I can be sensitive, but I hardly ever show my vulnerable side to people, not even to him when we dated) and it threw me off just cause it was so unexpected and I never planned on reacting that way… so, anyways, all that got me to thinking about what I really want to do… I was planning on going back to grad school next year to get an MBA, mind you I already have a master’s degree and I have a good full time job… and I was talking to one of my co-workers and I think the idea of going back to school would help to delay my fear of what’s next and not necessarily help me to solve the current issue at hand, which is what do I really want to do… going back to school would give me the opportunity to learn more, earn another degree, but more than that it would give me a chance to meet new and different people (Nigerians) and I would hope that it would open other opportunities for me to explore and find what I want to do.
I didn’t call SS like I promised I would, cause I wasn’t ready to talk about it, especially not with him cause I know he’ll make be completely open and honest with him and I dunno if I’m ready to do that… I did however, text him and apologize for tearing up during our conversation and he said he wanted to make sure I was ok and he reassured me that he was there for me whenever I was ready to talk…
On a side note, SS is such a great person, may times I wondered why we stopped talking/dating… he’s a great guy, so sweet and kind and considerate and we’ve always had that chemistry between us, but I guess some people you’re just meant to be friends with… either way, I’m grateful for him and his friendship…

Now I’m off to go try and figure out what the heck is wrong with me, or at least figure out what the heck I want to do with my life….

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

DD...i feel redundant because i always read your blog ... and then im like damn ... i am going through that exact same thing ... coincedence or otherwise ... but i do feel ya ... 4 years ago if you had asked me where i would be today it would be nothing like what it is now ... and that worries me ... some days more than others ... but it still worries me ... cause i know what i want to be doing ... and where i want to be going ... but everything else around seems to be going in a different direction ... either way best of luck with figuring it out ... and if you find some quick way (which never happens i know) to figure it out ... please pass it on... much love AI

Anonymous said...

Talk to him. Maybe it will help. Never isolate yourelf. It only helps to make the situation spiral into something worse.

NaijaBloke said...

I bet u will actually feel better if u talk to someone abt it and just let it out,but on the contrary u already made up ur mind abt going back to school which is a very good head start ...so just make sure u stick to the plan.

Hope u r feeling better now?

Anonymous said...

Don't worry DD, you'll figure it out. I'm going through the same thing you are. And I totally agree with what your coworker said..."going back to school will get you another degree," but what is it that you really want to do. I switch my passions every 2 days. Hopefully, I'll figure out soon what it is that makes me "tick"....because in the end, that's all that matters is that you're happy doing what you're doing.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Never fear, mama. What you're feeling is so normal and so natural...and you're really not supposed to know what the hell your future will hold. You're young and need to just experience more life before you make life changing decisions. Trust mother...I BEEN THERE. ;)

Discombobulated Diva said...

thanks for all the support and advise... it just difficult not knowing what to do or where to really go, I'm just so use to knowing what i want so its difficult when i'm in a position where I have no idea what I want...

I'm gonna take the weekend to think things over, and i'll probably talk to SS, just to see if it does help me figure things out...
thanks for the supprot ya'll :-)...

LondonBuki said...

12 miles? Well Done!!!

Hope you feel better girl!