Friday, April 20, 2007

Goodbye to FB, at least for now....

I did it… I deactivated my page on Facebook (FB) this morning… Why??? I’m not quite sure really, well actually I have various reasons…. First reason being FB gives me tooooo much information… too much information about the guy(s) I am interested in, enough information that it sometimes takes the mystery out of getting to know them… I mean, I get all this information that is overloading… some things I’d rather not know… plain and simple… ( I could simply not go to people’s pages, but it so hard to resist visiting their page and reading thru the information and seeing what’s changed or been added on their page and see who’s said what on their wall…)

Also, it lets other people check up on what’s going on in my life…. Granted I don’t have to put up pictures or any information if I don’t want to… but I do want to, and I’d like to do it without people judging me… so this morning… I did it, I deactivated the my page… and in the deactivation steps, they ask you for a reason as to y you want to deactivate it… some of the reasons being:

  1. Facebook is causing drama in my social life
  2. This is only temporary, I’ll be back
  3. I get too many emails from Facebook
  4. I don’t feel safe on this site
  5. etc…

And a few other options… while I agreed with a few of them… the reason I choose was; This is only temporary, I’ll be back… and well, that’s truly cause I do feel like I’ll be back on facebook… maybe not today, or this weekend… but eventually I’ll get back into it… but for now I need a break from it…. When my girl, AB deactivated her page a few weeks ago, I went into a small shock and panic… so many question… why, when, why and so on… but this morning for some reason or the other I understood where she was coming from… as I confirmed my deactivation… the FB staff’s last statement to me was: “Your Facebook account has been deactivated. To reactivate your account, simply log in as you normally would, and we'll send you a reactivation email. Come back soon, The Facebook Team”

They know I’ll be back, just like I do… but today, for whatever reason, it felt like an over load of information on so many levels… and i simply needed to get away from it all....

4 comments:

Jameil said...

i know what you mean. that's why i don't have one. but i DO get extra nosy and use my line sister's acct and my other homie's acct. but sometimes i just get TOO involved in other people's lives and its just too much. i've gotten repeated requests to just join but i can't. don't i have enough obsessions b/t blogger and myspace and ipod? shouldn't i be PHYSICALLY connected to the world somehow, someway?? yeah, i thought so, too.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could do the same after my recent discovery on Facebook, but I can't maybe one day lol!

Anonymous said...

hmmm youve got me thinkin here... ive gotten to the point where i dont really use mine much anymore ... but the nosiness can become a bit overwhelming ... i think youve planted a seed ... imma have to chew over this one!

Unknown said...

I don't get how people can get addicted to facebook and I know lots of people who have. My friends office have just banned it as that's all they did!

I mean, I think it's fun, and enjoy it as much as the next person but anymore than 5 minutes on there and I'm bored.