Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Day 4 without facebook… and withdrawal is not as bad as I expected it to be… I’ve gotten a few texts asking me was I still on FB… and there have been a few moments where I was weak with boredom at work and wanted to see what was going on in other people’s lives… but so far so good…

So I was listening to the Steve Harvey morning show as I usually do on my looooong commute to work every morning… Steve Harvey is hilarious.. anyways, they have this segment called the Strawberry letter of the day, where people (usually females) write in asking Steve and Shirley for advice on this problem… and here’s the letter for today:

Date: 04/24/2007
Subject: My man thinks he knows everything

Steve, I recently entered a relationship that seems to be very toxic for me mentally and physically. When we first started dating i was going out with my girls and taking care of my man all at the same time. Obliviously, i was not taking care of him enough because he started complaining about me spending too much time with my girls and not enough time with him (i went out with my girls only once a week, Friday only). He begin to say that i was not honoring our relationship by going out so much and talking on the phone with my girls he did not like so much as well. I totally reconfigured my life and gave him all my time, keeping all my friends at a distance, but that still was not good enough. Also, he does not like the fact that i work around all males in my field of study which is engineering. He is totally jealous and insecure about a lot of things in life. Every time i try to talk some rationale sense into my man he always seems to talk over me and never gives me time to get a word in!!!! Thus, he goes on further to tell me what i am thinking and how i am feeling. I tell him he is wrong each time he tries to draw a wrong conclusion. This man thinks he knows everything but is totally wrong on a lot of things. When i tell him something is wrong he does not listen but when his "homeboys" tell him something he thinks it is the gospel. I have tried several approaches to communicate with my man. Each situation renders different results. But, none of the results create change. I am a very educated sister with Christian values and strong beliefs. My man is so stubborn and stuck in his way which is the old school way of thinking. I don't want to make it seem as if i am talking down towards him. How can i ratify this matter? How can you handle talking to a man without belittling their manhood or making them seem foolish? I would appreciate your insight on this subject? Thank you.


Steve Harvey gave such a straight forward answer and it made complete sense… in a nut shell he said that you can’t belittle something that’s all ready little… that the man she is dealing with has some issues with himself and it projecting it on her making her to feel like she is the real issue… that he wants to make the illusion that he is bigger than he actually is, and the only way for him to do so is to make it seem as though he knows everything and that she is the issue…

Anyways, I thought it was rather interesting… I mean, honestly if a man has issues with himself, what can you, as his woman, truly do without belittling him as the female mentions in her letter… sometimes when people have issues with themselves or issues that they are working thru, all you can really do is try to help them, but don’t get caught up and allow it to bring you down as a result…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. This guy must have some serious self-hate issues. If he is as confident as he is trying to portray himself, he would not feel threatened by men at the workplace.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this I heard it on my way to work and have been searching for it ever since.