Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My trip to ATL...

So… My first trip to ATL… was cool… had a good time, didn’t really get the full effect of ATL, cause I was only there on for Monday & Tuesday, but I still had a good time… went shopping… which is one of my favorite sports, hung out with my line sister and the one of the friends took me a few spots on Tuesday night… so it was cool… definitely will be stopping thru there again, preferably on a weekend next time… but I can’t complain cause the trip to ATL was completely free on my company…

So, the purpose of the trip was to go recruit at some of the colleges in the ATL… I was really shocked at some of this students in these famous HBCU schools that I was recruiting at… we had an information session on Monday night and then conducted interviews all day Tuesday… first of all, some of these individuals showed up the info session looking a hot mess, not I don’t like talking about people (yeah right), but how do you plan on making a good impression on the company you’re trying to get a job or internship from when you look a hot mess… I mean hair everywhere, outfits inappropriate not just for the info session, but just straight up inappropriate… like her friend should have told her to never put on that outfit, unless it was Halloween inappropriate…. Then on to Tuesday, these students were showing up late to their interviews, some didn’t show up at all and some just walked in without previously setting an interview time… I just don’t understand the mentality of these students; I mean if I was still in college and a big time company came around offering all types of great jobs and benefits, I know I would have been all of it and trying to impress the company… and I can’t believe some of these students had the nerve to skip the interview all together… talk about a waste of my time… and they wonder why black people aren’t progressing…

On to another issue that occurred in ATL… so I went to Bloomingdales… now I love that store, almost as much as I love Nordstrom’s… (like I said Shopping is a sport)… so I went to Bloomingdales and brought a pair of jeans… and the check out clerk, mind you a black lady, had the never to hand me my purchase across the counter… granted this is normal procedure at any other store, but at stores such as Nordstrom’s, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, they are suppose to walk around the counter and bring you your purchases to you… and once again it wouldn’t be a big deal, but she did follow the protocol of walking around the counter and handing the shopping bag to the white lady ahead of me, but when it came to me, she handed me my shopping bag across the counter… now, she must have assumed that I didn’t shop at high retail stores and wouldn’t have known the difference but I was very much offended, and I was tempted to say something to her, but then she would have bought out the little ghetto side of me and I would have simply proven the stereotype that people already have of black people, so I didn’t say anything… but I mean, if our own people can still treat us differently than white people in a negative way, how do we expect white people to truly treat us as equals… now I know you’re thinking, I may be making a big deal of this situation, but it’s the small things that matter… its already ingrained in the black sales assistant head that other black people wouldn’t necessarily know that she was suppose to bring the shopping bag around to me instead of handing it to me over the counter… who knows how else she may subconsciously mistreat black people in other ways…

I did think about New Yorker this weekend… the small things definitely still remind me of him… I haven’t really spoken to him on the phones since we broke up, we’ve texted a little here and there… but haven’t spoken to one another yet…

I’m back at work and I don’t feel like being here… and to top it off, I have a bad head cold… sore throat, headache, stuffy rose… u get the picture… its not pretty… probably gonna leave early if i don't start feeling better...

2 comments:

Confused Naija Girl said...

I always wonder about that and my friends said I was paranoid cause it happened to me at macys. Whatever.

I really hope you get some rest girl.

Ajike said...

I sure feel u on recruiting at HBCUs. I have exprienced the same thing too. Even the few that are book smart, don't cut it in appearance. I really don't blame companies for not going back.
I hope you feel way better now... :)