Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The eyes of innocence…

As I sat in room upset as the events that had unfolded earlier that day… just angry with the world because things didn’t turn out the way I expected or the way that I wanted… as I stewed in my own bad mood… my bedroom door came swinging up, some unlucky individual was about to get the brunt of my anger… but when I looked up, all I saw was my almost 2 year old nephew with the most contagious smile and laugh in the world… and in that 5 seconds the anger and the events of the day slipped away, and joy was brought back into my life with this little being that just walked into my room, as if he owned this house… my little nephew, which I will call FB for reasons I will explain later…. My little nephew FB is the cutest baby… he takes after me with having one deep left dimple and a shallow right dimple… he has the cutest laugh and smile… and manages to say my name ‘Discombobulated Diva’ in this weird Nigerian accent… an accent that we can’t quite figure out where he got cause he was born here in the states and has only been back to Naija one… anyways… my nephew FB runs into my room, screaming my name and smiling and laughing… and comes to give me a hug… and at that moment, I couldn’t have pictured anything else that would have eased my anger as quickly… my nephew FB had this incredible affect on my family when he was born two years ago… he is the first grandchild of the family, booting me from having the baby position in the family to holding everyone’s heart in his hands… this little boy has softened all of… whenever I see my nephew, he reminds me of the miracle of life… this same nephew that I don’t hesitate to spank, but will still run up to me 5 minutes later and give me a hug and a kiss… and to see him develop is such a miracle… the first time I heard him call my name, he brought the biggest smile across my face… you see, my name is the only one he remembers constantly other than ‘mommy’ and ‘daddy’…. Through the eyes of my nephew I see innocents and happiness… its takes such little to please him at times… and he, for me, represents the miracle of life… many times my nephew stays at my house, cause his parents only live about 6 minutes away from us, so he’s over all the time… and he’s the only person that can wake me up on an early Saturday morning who I won’t be grumpy with…. And what’s the cutest thing about my little nephew FB… when he’s with his younger brother, who’s about 5 months year old, he knows to give his younger brother the pacifier and then he gives his baby brother a hug and a kiss… innocence at its very essences… nothing else melts my heart like my little nephews…

********************************************

Did I ever mention, I live with my family… and my mom announced that they (my parents) are going to Nigeria for 5 weeks in April… first thing out of my mouth… HOUSE PARTY… both my parents turned to me… and then I said it a little quieter, but still with a lot of excited… House Party… then assured them that we would not destroy their beautiful home… and everything would be in order by the time they get from Naija…

My family’s weird… but then I guess all families are weird in their own way…. My family is quite close, or closer than I thought… my immediate older sister and I still live at home with our parents, my older sister lives about 10 minutes away and my brothers live 5 to 6 minutes away from my parent’s house and they live across the stress from each other… we have family dinners and happy hours… and its always a little weird when one of us isn’t around… Me and my eldest sibling, my brother are nine years apart, but we are quite close… he respects me in a manner that no one else in the world does and I appreciate and respect for that… anyways, he’s always supportive of me and my decisions… and when I told him about going away to school in London, his first inclination was that that’s great, but I’m afraid you won’t come back to Baltimore… I assured him that I’d come back, I don’t have a choice now do I… once my visa is up, I’d have to come back to the states… but I do understand his concern… which leads me to a quick update… 5 applications completed…. One more to go and I’ll be done with applying to schools in London… excited!!!

8 comments:

Simply Gorgeous said...

I am happy that your little nephew gives you joy. I can tell by the way you write about him that you love him a lot. Good luck on getting your acceptance letters to schools in London. Oh and I am first or am I?

Anonymous said...

u come to cali ... and will mos def be comin to london... glad to hear your almost done ... and yeah kids are something wonderful ... all the potential in the world ... it makes me wonder sometimes how we all end up like we do!

Ajike said...

nephews and nieces are a big blessing from God... i love them so much.... wassup with school in london??
i wish you all the best... i am sure u would have a great time...

Vera Ezimora said...

You live in Bmore???? How come I didn't know this ever since? Hmmmmm. I'm thinking...

Unknown said...

wouldn't it be great if we all had little children in our lives to remind us of all the beauty and innocence in the world? I need to hang out with my little cousins more!

Good luck with all your london school applications. Let us know how you do and it'll be cool to meet up when you eventually move. Your family sounds amazing, it's great that you're all so close. I doubt my family will ever live as close to each other as yours do but we still spend christmases together and I can't imagine spending my birthday anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

Through the eyes of my nephew I see innocents and happiness…I wish I had that
Goodluck with the applications and the trip mami.. buy tons of shoes oh and tell us all about em... I'm glad you have a great closeknit family... those are hard to come by... but I'm sure you already know that.. have a great weekend luv

NaijaBloke said...

Ur nephew sounds like my nephew as well though I have only seen him once when I was in naija last yr.

So when is the house parrrryyy goin down o ..LOL

Stuck in my throat said...

I think all children have that effect. My niece has just learnt "if you are happy and you know it clap your hands/stomp your feet". she dances when she hears it. Very amusing.
And Chick,
PARTY ON.