Wednesday, January 09, 2008

its official... i'm not going crazy...

Its official… I’m NOT Crazy… YEAH!!! time to go celebrate…. ok, let me take a few steps back and explain before I start celebrating… I dunno if this has been apparent in my posts, but I’ve been overly emotional or over dramatic for the last couple of weeks… at first I thought maybe it was just the winter blues or maybe I was just feeling lonely from moving to London and so on and so on… I mean, I thought I was going crazy, having mood swing left and right, not to mention getting some acne which I don’t usual get… I managed to keep them mostly to myself, but I’m sure TA got some of the brunt of my mood swings… but only recently did I decide to reflect on all the changes that have happened in the last couple of months, all the issues I’ve dealt with and so on… and yesterday it clicked… I started taking BC pills (birth control pills) for the first time a few months ago, after I moved to London, and a few weeks after I started the mood swings started, the irrational thinking and so on… I really did think I was losing my mind… I even asked TA one day has he ever felt that he losing his mind or going crazy… that was the only way I could explain it… I know I am a sensitive person, but not an emotional person… if someone hurts my feelings; I’m not the type to show it especially not in public… I’d deal with it in private… but when I stated tearing up over stupid things and things of that sort, it took me a little by surprise, but I just though that maybe it was all apart of the changes that I had to deal with as I got older and mature… yeah right… I spent most of work yesterday doing research on the PC pill I was on and I found tons on information, especially stories from females who had experienced the things that I am going thru (oh, goodness… I’m tearing up again :-( )… luckily I had already schedule an appointment with to see my GP (doctor) for later in the evening and I thought I’d take this opportunity to discuss all of the issues and concerns I had about my health… imagine my relief when he told me that he seen this before and was more than happy to discuss the various options available… he switch me to a different BC that I started using today, he said that basically each person’s reaction to the BC depends on their individual body make up… if I start getting adverse side affects from this, I can try another BC, but if this new prescription doesn’t work, I’ll talk to my sisters to see what they use and if its working fine for them, I know it does depend on each person’s individual body, but since we’re related and genetically closer to each other, maybe what’s worked for them will work for me… who knows???

So, since I’ve move to the UK, I’ve had more health issues (in the past four and a half months) than I’ve had since… well never… the last time I had a health problem was over a year ago when I sprained my ankle while training for my marathon… but since I’ve been in London, its been one thing after the other, and while I know that TA is there for me and to support me, it makes me feel like a weak person cause of all the issues that I am having… I feel like its always one thing or the other with me and sometimes I just don’t want to tell him when or if something else comes up, cause one I don’t want to give him something else to worry about and two and I don’t want to feel like a liability to him (if that makes any sense at all)… besides I’m not use to leaning on people, I just handle things on my own and go on with life, that’s how I handle things… that usually works, at least it did when I was in the states cause I had some many people (friends and family) around and responsibilities to help me forget about what issue I was dealing with, so it was never necessary to actually tell other people or confide in other about issues, at least not all the time… but here, it’s a bit different... but i'm learning...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, I have been reading your blog for sometime and I find we are so very similar. Down to the pushing men away to me moving to the states from England 3 years ago. I just read ur post about the BC pill and i had a similar experience over the new year. I started taking it late december and was ok at first. Then I found that my mood changed in the 2nd week. By the 3rd week i was crying all the time over things that would not make me cry ordinarily. On new years day, I cried for about 4 hours. My boyfriend was so worried about me and was ready to call my family cos there was nothing he could do to make me feel better. I had had enough of the cryng myself and general feelings or worthlessness and it wasnt the way I wanted to start the new year. I narrowed it down to the BC pill and did some research. I found that it can make u feel the way i was feeling and in some worse cases suicidal. I read it gets better after the 3rd month but I am not willing to stick it put that long. I stopped taking the pill that day and I am soooo much better now. I dont think I am ever taking it again, I just do not think anything that makes me feel that bad for at least 3 months is worth. I was on Femcom. what were u on so I know to avoid it if i ever do go back on it....i think i am scarred for life. I will stick to good old condoms, I think! Please let me know (via ur blog) how u get on with the new pills u are taking.

Good luck with ur life in London, hope it all goes well for u and with TA as well.

Anonymous said...

learning is the key thing my girl ... that's what I keep telling myself when things happen that are out of the ordinary. thats crazy about the BC though... glad you found out what it was though...

Anonymous said...

Good job on looking it up and consulting your doctor!! Many women do not do that.

Discombobulated Diva said...

@Anon, I was on Microgynon which apparently is pretty popular in the UK, but also has a much of issues which i found out after i started taking it and doing my research on it. I'm no on Marvelon and things seem to be going good so far, but its still just the first week... if i begin to have adverse side affects from this BC, then I'm gonna call it quits for a while... but hopefully this one will work fine without all the negative side affects.

@ Ms. Brwn, girl i really thought i was losing my mind, i'm glad that i did the research otherwise who knows...

@Epsilonicus, you're right that women should do their research, but often times doctors neglect to tell the patient about all the possible side affects... thank goodness for the internet these days!!!