Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Misperception...

Do u ever wonder how other people see you or perceive you… I mean, do you ever wonder what others, who don’t know you, think… what concept of you have they built in their minds… everything in this world is about perception… How some one acts, how you perceive it and how you react… I’ve heard all kinds of things about me… Some people think I’m stuck up (what, little ol’ me… talk to me and you’ll know I’m as silly as it gets )… some people think I am conceded (Damn, I do look good, but I’m by no means vain or anything… wait, did that sound conceded to you)… someone told me I was spoiled (hello… I am the last born, but I do work hard as hell to get what I want and to get to where I am)

Anyways, I guess it’s all about how you carry yourself and what other people assume about you… I know a lot of people in this Nigerian community around here and a lot of people know my family, and its just odd the perception that people have… I guess we all do it though, cause often I get an opinion of someone in my head, and I start to view and make an assessment of them without really getting to know them…

Through one of our many convos, the Accountant proceeded to tell me that I’m am completely different than what he thought or expected of me… he thought I was stuck on myself, spoiled, conservative and all this other stuff… and granted when I used to see him around, I just always thought that he was a very conservative, serious, straight laced guy… well, he’s not…. And each time we hang out, he surprises me again, its always a pleasant surprise…

I remember I was at my good friend, JB’s, cookout and I was making drinks for everyone and JB introduced the girl he was talking to me, and since JB is one of my very good friends (he’s my best male friend), a friend of his is a friend of mine, and I’ll especially be nice to the girl he’s talking to… so anyways, JB was playing host was quite busy, so I made it a point to check up on the girl thru out the cookout… I mixed her a drink and everything and was just being me in general… she kept saying thank you… the next day JB told me that the girl talked about me non-stop after the cookout was over, that she liked me and that I was so nice to her and that she didn’t know that Nigerian girls could be so nice… I didn’t think I did anything out of the ordinary for me, I was just being me… and I guess Nigerian girls don’t have the best reputation of being the nicest girls… so I guess its goes past perception but also to stereotypes… how can u assume that I’m not gonna be nice to you just cause I’m Nigerian and I'm female… but then again, I know my fair share of Naija girls, and I understand where the girl got that idea from…

Ultimately, I’m not really concerned about what other think of me, but every once in a while it does cross my mind… and sometimes it’s nice to fix those misconceptions, such as in the case with the accountant…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do wonder at times what peoples perceptions are of me ... and some of the things that people tell me once they go to know me really make me laugh ... but at the same time i know me ... and thats the main thing that matter ... and if they are willing to take the time they will know the true me too... cool post ... im intertested in this accountant...lol

Unknown said...

I would love to know what people's first perception of me is, but short of polling everyone I meet, I guess I'm always going to have to wonder. A friend of mine had a dinner party at christmas and invited a random assortment of her friends and after dinner we all talked about what our first impressions of each other were, it was really interesting and interestingly, our first impressions were almost all wrong.

Nigerian girls definitely have a reputation for being unfriendly and I have to say it's often deserved. If you are at a gathering with a lot of other girls, it's more likely that they'll eye you up and down, evaluate your outfit and look away than it is that they'll go out of their way to be friendly to you.