Monday, June 09, 2008

MY SATC friends...

So, I went to go see the Sex and the City (SATC) movie… and I don’t care what anyone says, it was a great movie… I cried and I laughed and I carried again and then I laughed some more… it was such a good movie, I truly enjoyed it… but then again I never doubted it in the first place, I knew the movie would be of good quality! I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to be entertained and appreciate a good movie…

The SATC movie reminded me of me and my girls… my girls from DC… it was usually four of use that hung out together, there were the 3 main girls, me, AB, and NM (it was me, AB, & NM that trained and ran the marathon together in January 2007) and then the fourth girl always rotated for various reasons… the 4th girl was usually a girl we went to college with and had just moved into the area for a short period of time.. so over a period of about two and a half years, we had three different 4th girl, it seems as one girl was leaving for one reason or another, a new girl from college would pop up and fit right into the crew…it always worked out well, since we all went to college together, although we all didn’t hang out together in college though… but last summer the crew began to unravelled… as we all began to realize were getting old… some how, turning 25 hit us all a bit hard… it was time to start making some life decisions… college was long over, we’d had our fair share of fun since then and it was time to start focusing on the future… one by one, we all started to pave our own paths… I was preparing to move to London… NM was preparing for the LSAT and going to Law school and AB was trying to find the right career… the other girls (the ones that made the 4th, 2 had obviously moved on…), but the current 4th girl, L, was just finishing grad school and preparing to get into her chosen field of study. I have to admit, it was sad when I left, having my last dinner and clubbing night with the girls was fun and simultaneously sad… it was the end of an era… every time I went back home to the states, it was a must to see my girls… it was a necessity, as it was to see my family… if nothing else, I made time to see those girls… they helped me shape such a memorable part of my early twenties… less than a year after I left NB packed up all her stuff and head to Law school in New York… and now its just AB and L left in DC… This weekend I spoke to NM, she had just started her first week of law school in NY, and already the work is piling up… we reminisced about all the good and crazy times we had in DC… the memories that can’t be replaced… the late night & early mornings, the brunches & dinners, the drinks & dates, the men and relationships… between the 4 of us, we saw it all… and we enjoyed it all! Sometimes it makes me sad that that part of my life is over, but I do realize that I shouldn’t be sad… I realize that it couldn’t have lasted forever, but that I should take those memories and simply appreciate them for what they’re worth… the pictures we have tell a million stories… the evenings you wish you could forget to the evenings you wished would have lasted just a few more hours… the secrets you shared, the secrets you kept… the fact that your friends know you well enough to know when to say when and when to let it go… the expected and unexpected things… if anyone knew me, they knew my girls… the double dates we use to do… ours was always a bit different, it was more like one of us would crash the date of one of the other girls, especially if you weren’t sure about the guy… and funny enough we never saw any issue with it, sometimes it was the guy that felt like the 3rd wheel, but we figured you might as well get use to having all our friends around since we hung together so much… it was like the date that you invite your girl friend on, without warning the guy is always a lot of fun… and boy did we have a lot of those… or how about the ‘Save me from this guy’ look/call… those were priceless and also necessary!

I know I haven’t written much about my girls, I may have mentioned them everyone one in a while, but the majority of things I did were with my girls… the marathon, my birthday party, the drinks, dates and so on… most of my weekends were always with the girls… they were so much apart of me, I assumed that everyone knew that they were always around… so much were they apart of me, their respective homes were my second homes, I pretty much spent about 1/3 of the year at AB’s place… and also at NM’s place as well… And I can’t even begin to mention the emails we use to swap at work, it was ridiculous how much we emailed each at work , trying to look busy at work, while really we were making plans for the evening/weekend… do I miss them??? more than I ever expect too… but I know that people grow up and apart and that people move away and must follow their own paths, but sometimes… every once in a while, I wish we could go back to the good old days… but I must admit when we get together theses days, from all over, we still have an amazing time, its as if nothings changed… but it certainly has… the places we choose go to are slightly different, the way we carry ourselves is a bit more mature, the things we talk about a bit more sophisticated… but the one thing that doesn’t change is the love we have for one another… the love that makes us tolerate, but more importantly accept, each other… the bond we have, although different, is still strong… and I know they’ll always be apart of my life… whether they’re close in distance or not… and when I walk down the aisle (whenever that will be), I’ll be looking over my shoulder at AB and NM, making sure that my bridesmaids are doing just fine…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl,update abeg

Anonymous said...

missy...where have you been?

Anonymous said...

yes girl...pls...pls...pls update

Anonymous said...

Hey hun...where have you been? i hope u are ok